Information for Future First-Year Students
Why Penn State?
There are literally hundreds of reasons to choose Penn State. More than 160 baccalaureate majors … more than 1,200 student clubs and organizations … a system of 20 undergraduate campuses across Pennsylvania … more than 150 years of tradition … faculty internationally recognized for achievements in research and education … and foremost, Penn State's high-quality academics.
Who is a first-year student?
- A student who has earned a high school diploma or a GED.
- A student who has attempted 17 or fewer semester hours of college coursework at a regionally accredited college/university before attending Penn State.
- A student who may have enrolled in another institution(s) before graduating from high school, regardless of the number of credits attempted.
- A student who may have attended Penn State on a nondegree basis.
First-year students most commonly enroll at Penn State in the summer or fall semester following their high school graduation. Each year, the application for admission becomes available on September 1.
Please refer to the helpful links below to learn more about Penn State, understand the admissions process, and access important information and resources. You can also check out all of our Publications online for more information about Penn State campuses, student aid, activities, and more. To stay connected with the Penn State Undergraduate Admissions Office, and to hear more about Penn State from a student perspective, visit our Social Media page for the latest blog posts, videos, and tweets!
Penn State Admissions Process
- Steps to Apply to Penn State
- High School Course Requirements for a four-year degree
- Admissions Requirements
This page will help students learn about the requirements for two-year and four-year degrees, as well as special admissions requirements, like auditions, for certain programs.
- Estimating Your Eligibility
- Exploring Penn State's Campuses and the 2+2 Plan
- Earning Penn State Credit - AP, IB, CLEP, and other colleges
- When to Apply to Penn State
- Information on the Schreyer Honors College
- Next Steps for Accepted Students
- Resources for First-Year Students