Information for current Penn State students enrolling in classes outside of the University and transferring earned credit to Penn State.
Information for Current Penn State Students
In addition to applicants wishing to transfer credit to Penn State upon acceptance, current Penn State students may enroll in classes outside of the University and transfer earned credit to Penn State.
Course work from another institution can transfer into Penn State in a variety of ways. Some courses will require the submission of the course syllabus for academic departmental review to determine the Penn State credit equivalency. For a complete review of how credit can transfer into Penn State, and for information on submitting syllabi for Penn State faculty review.
Review our Transfer course evaluation instructions.
General Transfer Credit Information
Any Penn State students that take classes at different institutions while enrolled at Penn State should send the official transcript directly from the institution in order for the course work to be evaluated for transfer credit. Please note that:
- Credits are transferred; grades are not.
- Credits transferred from another school do not affect a student’s grade-point average.
- Transfer credits are part of a student’s academic history and the college in which the student is enrolled will determine how transfer credits will be used to meet graduation requirements.
- All transfer credits (from examinations or other institutions) placed on the Penn State transcript will count towards the total number of credits a student has accumulated.
- Course work from another institution that is not located on the Transferring Credits Tool will need to be reviewed by faculty in the relevant academic discipline. If a student wishes to seek pre-approval of a transfer course, he/she should email course syllabi to firstname.lastname@example.org. If not available electronically, please mail syllabi to the Undergraduate Admissions Office, 201 Shields Building, University Park, PA 16802, or via email to email@example.com. For more details on submitting syllabi electronically for pre-approval view our Transfer Credit Equivalencies information.
- A $25 processing fee will be posted to your student account once an official college transcript is received and credits are processed on your record in LionPATH. Please note that the $25 fee will be assessed per transcript received regardless of whether transfer credit is earned. A fee will not be assessed for test credits, military experience, or for dual enrollment credits. The fee will be added to your bill and is payable to the Bursar's Office.
- Once course work from another college/university is added to the Penn State student record, those credits cannot be removed.
Please be advised that a student’s tuition will increase when the Penn State transcript reflects 59.1 cumulative credits. If the credits you are transferring or have transferred place you above 59.1 cumulative credits after the start of the semester, your tuition will increase immediately. You will receive a bill for the additional tuition on the first day of the following month. For more information, visit the Office of the Bursar's website.
Summer Courses in China
Courses taken in programs in China that are not part of the regular degree-granting curriculum will not be considered for transfer credit.