Undergraduate Admissions

Getting Penn State Credit

Credit Acquisition

Penn State awards credit from multiple sources, such as exams taken during secondary school as well as university-level courses. Transferable credits will be evaluated as either equivalent to an exact Penn State course or as general credits within the area of study. These credits may be used to fulfill degree requirements as well as general education requirements and are applied to a student’s program of study at the discretion of the academic college of enrollment.

University Credit from Secondary Exams

Courses studied at a higher level in the following systems of secondary education can be reviewed for transfer credit equivalent to the introductory courses in that subject – typically 6 to 8 credits.

University Credit from Other Institutions

  • United State Colleges and Universities
    Course work completed at a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. will be evaluated for transfer credit if passed with a grade equivalent to A, B, or C (2.0) and is useful in the student’s program of study at Penn State.  For more information, please see our transfer credit policy and the transferring credits tool.
  • International Colleges and Universities

    Credits may also be earned from institutions outside the United States if the institution is a recognized part of the system of higher education of another country and offers programs of study equivalent to baccalaureate degree programs at Penn State.

    Current Students Wishing to Take Summer Courses in China

    In order for credits to be evaluated for transfer to Penn State, the summer program transcript with credit values and grades must be issued by an institution that is recognized by the Ministry of Education.

    If you take university courses in China, in order to be considered for transfer credit, you MUST arrange for a verification report of your university transcript with the China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). The report must be mailed directly to Undergraduate Admissions by the CDGDC, rather than by you or any third party. Any transcript not mailed by the CDGDC will not be considered for awarding transfer credits to Penn State.

    China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center
    18th Floor, Tongfang Keji Building B No.1,
    Wangzhuang Road Haidian District,
    Beijing 100083 China
    Tel: 86-10-82379480 Fax: 86-10-82379491
    Email: cqv@cdgdc.edu.cn Website: www.cdgdc.edu.cn