Penn State Undergraduate Admissions Penn State University

French Language

If you have taken Advanced Placement (AP), you may be able to earn Penn State credit.

With appropriate scores, those may apply as general credit, credit for a particular course, or may allow you to advance to the next in a series of courses or take an honors-level course.

  • AP Exam: French Language
  • Penn State Credit Evaluation:

    For a grade of 3, credit is awarded for FR 001, 002, 003 (12 credits)

    For a grade of four, an additional 3 credits are awarded for FR 201(total of 15 credits).

    For a grade of five, an additional 3 credits for French 202 are awarded (total of 18 credits).

    For a grade of three or above, the student is considered as having fulfilled the 12th credit-level foreign language requirement.

More Information about Credit for AP Tests

This evaluation of the credits awarded for Advanced Placement Exams is subject to change and may be reviewed and revised periodically by Penn State faculty.

If credit is awarded, a student’s University record will carry notation of credit, but no grade will be recorded. Credit awarded will not affect a student’s grade-point average at Penn State.

Limitations on credit earned through the AP Exams are as follows: 

  • The credit must be useful in a student's program of study.
  • Duplicate credit in the same subject is not awarded in any case.

Undergraduate students interested in receiving credit for AP Exams should arrange for their official grade reports to be sent directly from the College Board to us.

General credits may be awarded for an AP Exam that covers material that is not the substantial equivalent of material covered in a specific University course. General credits may be used to fulfill degree requirements in any area; such use is not necessarily limited to General Education or elective requirements. General credits are applied to a student’s program of study in accordance with the procedures established by the college of enrollment. Information on the use of general credits or specific course credits earned by AP Exams in individual programs of study may be obtained from a student’s academic adviser or from the office of the dean of a student’s college.