Penn State Undergraduate Admissions Penn State University


Frequently-asked questions about the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR).

What is SRAR?

SRAR is short for Self-Reported Academic Record, an initiative being undertaken by Penn State’s Undergraduate Admissions Office to ultimately have all future undergraduate applicants to the University submit their high school record as part of the application process. SRAR is initially being implemented for first-year students applying for summer/fall in the 2017-18 application cycle.

Who is required to submit self-reported grades?

Initially, SRAR will be expected of all traditional first-year students (domestic and international) still in high school, as well as adult learners applying as first-year students. In time, transfer students will be added to the SRAR initiative. For now, those applicants will continue to provide high school (and college) transcripts as part of a complete application as will international first-year students from Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, and countries on the continent of Africa. 

When should I complete SRAR?

You will submit SRAR as part of the application process. You may choose to complete the application itself first, then return to complete SRAR at a later date, but your application will not be complete without: the application, the SRAR (unless otherwise directed), and the official test scores sent to Penn State from the testing agency.

If you choose to apply via the Coalition, you will provide SRAR as part of completing the profile sections required to begin the Penn State application.

How will I, as a student in high school, submit self-reported grades?

You will submit SRAR (grades 9 through 11 as well as your senior year schedule) via Penn State’s application for admission available through MyPennState. You will be directed to begin the SRAR following completion of the High School Information portion of the application.

If you are choosing to use the Coalition application, SRAR will also be provided via the Coalition application process.

How much time will it take to complete SRAR?

Our expectation is that it will take additional time (perhaps 10 additional minutes) as compared with the completion of the existing high school course listing in the MyPennState application, but if you have on hand the copy of the high school transcript showing your high school record for grades 9 through 11, that additional time should not create an undue burden.

When will I submit official transcripts?

If you receive an offer of admission to Penn State and accept the offer of admission, you will be expected to submit your final high school transcript following graduation and prior to enrollment at the University.

Typically this will be done during the summer prior to the start of the semester. Official transcripts will be submitted by your secondary school counselor following graduation or by July 15.

My school provides weighted and unweighted GPAs. Which should I use?

If available, you should provide the weighted GPA. You should not add or remove any weight. There will be a separate field on the SRAR (Course Level) for you to list the type of course it is, i.e. honors, AP, dual enrollment, etc.

How do I list high school courses taken while I was in middle school or junior high school on the SRAR? 

Any core curriculum course taken for high school credit must be listed on the SRAR. Enter the course in the appropriate year. The SRAR includes options for entering middle school courses. If you’ve taken math or world language course work prior to 9th grade, and these courses are necessary to meet Penn State admission requirements, please indicate those courses on your SRAR in the middle school section for your high school record. Please select Pass/Fail – Pass as your grade for the course. You do not need to designate the name of your middle or junior high school. 

If in doubt as to where to put a subject, should I select "Other Subject Area"?

Yes. Our review staff will review those courses and make adjustments as needed.

Will applicants be able to go back in and add new grades?

Only upon approval and re-opening of SRAR by Penn State admissions staff. Students should be aware that adding senior year grades or changing SRAR after submission could change their application completion date if the changes are made after the November 30 recommended filing date.

How should I list Dual Enrollment courses on SRAR?

If the dual enrollment courses are on your high school transcript, list them with Dual Enrollment as the course level. If they are not on your high school transcript, they can be listed in the College Information section of the application. If your Dual Enrollment/college course taken while in high school course is also an AP course, please choose AP for the course level. 

Can I round up when entering my grades or GPA?

No, you should not round up. You will be expected to provide the information as it appears on your high school transcript.

When will I need to submit my final high school transcript for validation?  

If you accept an offer of admission to Penn State, you will forward final, complete high school transcripts by July 15. If you receive and accept an offer of admission after July 15, you will have two weeks to submit your final high school transcript.

What happens if I realize I made a mistake after submitting the application? How do I correct errors?

If you recognize that you made an error on their SRAR, you should send an email to with the update to allow counselors to correct the record and document that you initiated the change to your SRAR. In this process, your SRAR may be re-opened to update your information. 

Should I include senior year grades if I have them?

Yes. If you are completing SRAR, and therefore your application, you may include any senior year grades that are available to you.

However, keep in mind that our recommended filing window closes November 30 (September 1 to November 30). Waiting for senior year grades before submitting SRAR will likely move you out of the first group (applicants from September 1 to November 30) to be reviewed for admission, which will not be to your advantage. 

How will the self-reported grades be validated?

SRAR submissions will be validated following submission of the final transcript. After accepting your offer of admission, you should have the final transcript sent after high school graduation, but no later than July 15 for students receiving an offer of admission for summer/fall 2018.

If you receive and accept an offer of admission after July 15, you will have two weeks to submit your final high school transcript. You will continue to receive a “Final High School Transcript” checklist item to prompt you to submit their final transcript.

If I attended more than one high school, do I need a separate transcript for each school?

No, as long as all classes and grades are represented on one transcript.

I am re-applying for first-year admission to Penn State but you already have the final high school transcript on hand?

You will be expected to complete SRAR and, if admitted and assuming you accept the offer of admission, you will be prompted to provide an additional final and complete high school transcript.

If I took a class twice because I failed it the first time, do I show that class both times?

If both classes appear on your high school transcript, then they will need to be represented in SRAR.

My school is on block scheduling, if I take a class for one semester is that a full credit?

Block courses are set for one unit per grade entry. If your course was for one semester, please indicate your final grade for that semester and you will be awarded a full credit for that course. If you provide grades for both grade options for a block level course, it will be worth two units.

A SRAR from a school with block scheduling will get flagged in the review process to make sure students are accurately representing their credits earned.

What happens if someone misrepresented themselves in SRAR but was admitted to Penn State?  

If you intentionally misrepresent your SRAR, offers will be revoked at the sole discretion of Penn State, class schedules will be canceled, and housing contracts will be canceled.

Do I need to include class rank as part of SRAR?

Class rank may play a role in some decision making. If it is provided to you on the transcript, then you should include it.

Should I also submit my high school GPA and should I convert my GPA to a 4.0 scale? 

You will be expected to provide the cumulative GPA 9 through 11 as recorded on your transcript, but will not need to recalculate to a 4.0 scale. Enter the GPA as it appears on your transcript. If your school provides both a weighted and un-weighted GPA on the transcript, you should provide the weighted GPA.

How can I be confident that Penn State is using accurate information in making admission decisions?

About two-thirds of Penn State's admission decision is based on high school coursework.

We have a high level of confidence that you will make every attempt to provide true and accurate information.  The consequences of intentionally providing misleading information will lead to the revocation of the offer to Penn State and/or the canceling of your academic schedule and housing contract.

Will errors on the grade submission cause Penn State to rescind my offer of admission? How will this notification of offer revocation occur?

Good judgement will be followed by Penn State admissions staff as they validate the final transcripts and SRAR.  Malice-free errors will occur, and every effort will be made to fairly judge intent. 

If it is determined that you intentionally misrepresent your SRAR, at Penn State’s discretion, you will be notified and your offer of admission and/or your academic schedule at Penn State will be canceled. 

Should homeschooled students complete SRAR?

Yes, if you followed an educational curriculum patterned after the traditional U.S. system.  If the curriculum followed cannot be represented on the SRAR, email us at for further instruction.

Should international students complete SRAR?

If you are an international student you will be asked to select your school’s grading system as part of SRAR. As an international first-year student, you will be expected to complete the SRAR portion of the application unless you are from Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, or the countries on the continent of Africa. For those countries, you will follow the advisories appearing in the application and send secondary school documents as directed.

Should students with a GED complete SRAR?

If you have a GED, you will not be completing SRAR. You will be directed to complete the portion of the application asking for high school courses but not grades. You should report all high school coursework that was completed. The recording of all completed high school coursework will benefit you in the evaluation of your application. You will also need to submit the final GED transcript.

If I send the transcript at the time I apply, will they be later matched with my admit record?

No. We do not accept interim high school transcripts in lieu of the SRAR, and Penn State will not review any submitted transcripts instead of a SRAR.

You should obtain a transcript from your school counselor so you can complete the SRAR with complete and accurate information. In order to satisfy the high school graduation and SRAR validation requirement, you must submit an official final high school transcript after graduation.

How should first-year applicants not able to provide SRAR respond to the request for SRAR?

Applicants will be expected to provide self-reported high school record information.  Applicants (adult learners many years out of high school, for example) not able to provide the information will be handled on a case-by-case basis through Penn State’s review process. Students should email if they are having difficulty with SRAR.