Alert Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Admissions to Penn State Updates 


A step-by-step tutorial, with tips, on how to complete your Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) for Penn State.  

Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) Tutorial

Video:Introduction to SRAR at Penn State (1 of 7)
View the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) Tutorial as a playlist

Your Penn State application is not considered complete until Penn State has received all required documents and materials, such as your completed Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) or submission of your high school transcripts (if so directed) and your official standardized test scores (required of all traditional first-year applicants). Below is a step-by-step tutorial, with tips, on how to complete your SRAR for Penn State.

  1. Log in to MyPennState and click on the blue "Self-Reported Academic Record" button. You will be presented with detailed SRAR instructions. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Continue to Complete SRAR" button. This will take you to your SRAR.
  2. Once you're in your SRAR, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Begin" button.
  3. Your first task is to enter your high school information.
    • Please indicate the month and year that you will or have graduated, as well as your dates of attendance and grading scale for your high school. Please double check that the high school(s) you see in SRAR is correct.
    • When selecting your grading scale, choose the one that best represents the grade values on your transcript. Letter Grades (A, B, C), Number Grades (95, 82, 100), Letters and Numbers (A, B, 94), Other (includes decimals).
    • Note: If you have more than one high school, please add a high school by clicking the "Add Another School" button at the bottom of the page. Make sure that your dates of attendance for each school corresponds with the academic dates on your transcript.

      Video: Dissecting your High School Transcript (3 of 7)
      View the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) Tutorial as a playlist

  4. Once you've completed the Enter High Schools section, click the Enter Coursework button located at the bottom of the page. It is important that you report grades exactly as they appear on your high school transcript(s). We will verify your grades after you accept your offer of admission, and they must be the same or you risk losing your offer of admission to Penn State. In order to accurately report your coursework, you must have a copy of your high school transcript(s) on hand when entering coursework.
  5. Before entering your courses, you'll first need to complete the GPA/Class Rank section for each high school. Click the pencil symbol to edit the GPA/Class Rank section and indicate your cumulative weighted GPA, unweighted GPA, and rank information. If your school does not calculate GPA or rank, select the appropriate options listed on the page.

    Video: Dissecting your High School Transcript (4 of 7)
    View the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) Tutorial as a playlist

    How to enter your courses

    • Select the appropriate Subject Area and then choose the Generic Course Title that best describes the subject matter of the course. Under Course Name you may modify the generic course title to exactly what is listed on your transcript.
    • When selecting a Course Level, refer to your high school transcript. Your transcript will indicate the level at which you took the course (i.e. honors, AP, College Prep, etc.) If your transcript does not identify the course level for a course, it is considered a "Standard" course.
    • Next you will select the Course Length that be represents how long you took and course and how your school issues final grades (one final grade, semester grades, etc.).

      Video: Dissecting Your High School Transcript (5 of 7)
      View the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) Tutorial as a playlist

      • If you've taken the course for an entire academic year and have one final grade on your transcript, select "Full Year." This will allow you to enter one final grade for the course.
      • If you've taken the course for one semester or are given final semester grades for a yearlong course, select "Semester." This will allow you to enter a final grade for one or both semesters. The same is true for Trimester (three final grades) and Quarterly (four final grades)
      • If you've taken the course as part of block scheduling, select "Block Scheduled Term." You will have an opportunity to enter your final grade for one or both block terms.
      • Other selections include, "Three Quarters," "Summer School," "Online Course," and "Single Marking Period."
    • If you have taken any algebra or higher-level math courses or world languages prior to 9th grade, please indicate those courses on your SRAR under the middle school section. For these courses select either Pass or Fail as your grade.
    • Repeated or failed courses on your transcript must be reported.

    How to enter your grades

    • If you are a high school senior, choose "In Progress" for scheduled or in-progress 12th grade courses. If you have already completed a 12th grade course and received a final grade, please indicate the grade that you received. Do not enter in-progress marking period grades.
    • Do NOT apply weight to your grades.
    • Do NOT add +/- to your grades if they are not on your transcript.
    • Do NOT convert your grades into another format than what appears on your transcript. (i.e. numbers to letters)
    • Do NOT average your grades.
    • When entering course Credits/Units values, enter the credit value exactly as it appears on your high school transcript.

    Video: Reviewing Your High School Transcript (6 of 7)
    View the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) Tutorial as a playlist

  6. Your next task is to enter SAT or ACT exam scores under the Enter Exams section. Please enter the exam you participated in, the score you received, and when you took the exam. Do not super score.
    • Test scores submitted through SRAR are not considered official. You need to submit your official exam scores from College Board or ACT to satisfy the SAT/ACT requirement.
      • First-year applicants currently in high school or those who have graduated from high school four or fewer years ago should arrange for SAT or ACT scores to be sent directly to Undergraduate Admissions from the appropriate testing agency (SAT code #2660 or ACT code #3656).
      • To have SAT scores sent, visit
      • To have ACT scores sent, visit
      • Test scores are waived for those applicants who have been out of high school five or more years or veterans who have served active duty in the military.
    • You may also self-report other types of exam scores, including TOEFL, Advanced Placement (AP), and IELTS. Like the SAT and ACT, these self-reported exam scores are not considered official and will not be used to satisfy any application requirements.
  7. When you have accurately entered all your coursework, proceed to the Review/Submit section.
    • If you see a warning message at the top of the page or see red warning text throughout your coursework, this means you missed something. Please review the warning and fix any issues. You cannot submit your SRAR until you do not see any warning messages.
    • Once you have fixed any issues and have done a final review of your record, click the "Submit" at the bottom of the page.
  8. After submitting your SRAR, please allow up to 12 hours for it to be acknowledged on your Application Checklist in your MyPennState.