Review the academic requirements for transferring to Penn State to pursue a four-year, baccalaureate degree.
General Eligibility for 4-Year Degree Programs
We are glad that you are interested in transferring to Penn State. Baccalaureate degree programs are available at all 20 campuses across the state and through our World Campus. To help you prepare to apply for one of our degree programs, please review our majors listing to research the best fit for your academic and career goals.
In addition to the general transfer eligibility for applicants, students wishing to pursue four-year, baccalaureate degrees will also have to meet the eligibility requirements outlined below, as well as an specific requirements for their intended program of study.
Use the search in the side navigation to locate your intended program of study in order to determine the academic and campus requirements for that program. The requirements will also indicate any program deadlines or additional requirements that students must fulfill to be eligible for transfer admission.
Eligibility for Penn State Campuses
Our campuses have different eligibility requirements for four-year programs. Please review the following campus-specific information.
- Minimum GPA for University Park: 2.5 GPA
- Minimum GPA for other campuses: 2.0 GPA
- Transferring directly to University Park
- Student must have completed two years (4 semesters) of full-time college coursework at another institution and/or another Penn State campus by the time of transfer to be eligible for admission.
- Students with less than the 4 semesters of work are eligible to transfer to Penn State, but they must transfer to a campus other than University Park (and then work with their adviser and program on transitioning to University Park as a Penn State student).
- Please review transfer deadline information for preferred application filing dates.
Academic Eligibility and Eligibility for Colleges
In addition to the campus requirements, the academic colleges offering our degree programs have academic requirements.
- Criteria for transfer admission may include specific course requirements.
- Successful completion of the required coursework is not a guarantee of admission.
- Unless specified otherwise, course requirements apply regardless of campus choice.
- Credits of required coursework are listed in semester hours.
- Lack of prerequisite coursework may prevent admission to the major but may still be sufficient for admission to the academic college.
- Prerequisite coursework must be completed with a grade of C (2.0) or better.
- GPA requirements vary across academic colleges; some academic colleges may have higher GPA requirements.
- Not all majors are open to transfer students, and this information is outlined when applicable.